On 3/7/18 in homeroom, all 11th grade students received information on the course selection process for 2018-2019. If you or your child are not currently in 11th grade, scheduling for 9th and 10th graders is scheduled for the following dates: March 21 current 10th graders receive scheduling information, April 18th current 9th graders receive scheduling information.

This year, scheduling will be completed through the counseling department.

We have created a video presentation with important information that also reviews all the documents 11th grade students received today. Please view this video as well.

You can view the video by following this link: https://youtu.be/S4iYVxHF_2E

The documents students received in homeroom today are explained in the video and included as links below. Students received the Course List for 2018-19 (note that one side has the course codes and the back side includes instructions for obtaining signatures), the Course Selection Worksheet (please note that ALL JUNIORS will be turning this in via their English classes on March 15th or 16th), and a sample schedule worksheet.

If you still have questions after viewing the video and reviewing the documents, below are some frequently asked questions about the process and required course approval signatures.


NOTE: All juniors will meet with counselors during their English classes on March 15th or 16th.


Q: I was absent from homeroom today. How do I obtain copies of the documents distributed?

A: Go to the counseling office during tutorial or lunch later this week.


Q: My teacher will not give me a course approval signature because I do not currently meet the prerequisite. How do I get approval if my final grade does meet the prerequisite?

A: Sign up for the course you are currently recommended to take. If your final grade meets the prerequisite you can change your course request during registration in August.


Q: I plan on taking a class during summer school. Should I put that class on my course request sheet or leave it off?

A: Put the course on your course request sheet. Please note that students should sign up for courses as if they are not participating in Summer School. If you attend Summer School through the Irvine Unified School District the course requests will automatically be changed after you receive a final grade on your transcript during the summer. If you attend Summer School through an outside accredited institution you must obtain a transcript from the school and your course request will be changed during registration (NOTE: WHS does not place grades from other institutions on our transcripts; prior approval required). If you would like more information about Summer School, please contact your child’s counselor or have your student stop by and his/her counselor.


Q: I am going to put athletics on my schedule. Do I need a signature?

A: If you are currently on an athletic team you do not need a signature. If you are not currently on an athletic team you must receive a signature from the coach prior to being placed into the class. In most situations this will not happen until next school year.


Q: I was recommended for several AP and honors courses for the 2018-2019 school year. Where can I find out more information about these courses?

A: Our AP/Honors night was Tuesday, March 6th/ Topics discussed included: the Benefits of pursuing AP and Honors courses; AP/Honors course offerings at WHS; expectations for AP/Honors courses; making informed course selections; being mindful of balance and student wellness.

If you were unable to attend the evening, please visit the counseling portion of our website for the presentation.


Q: I am interested in taking a Blended Learning Course.

A: Please list the course code for the Blended Learning class you wish to take on your course selection sheet. In addition, you will also need to speak to your assigned counselor as they will complete an online enrollment form required for all Blended Learning courses. Seniors can enroll in a Blended Learning class as their 6th class for fall or a 5th course option for spring.


Q: I am interested in taking an off campus course such as ROP, a College Course, or Community Work Experience (because I have a job or plan to have a job). How do I register for these courses?



Seniors can enroll in an ROP class as their 6th class for fall or a 5th course option for spring. Please consult with the ROP coordinator for more information on ROP course options and availability. An ROP course registration form must be filled out and a general ROP course code can be added to your course selections. Please refer to the WHS course list for the course code(s).

College Classes:

Seniors can enroll in a College Class as their 6th class for fall or a 5th course option for spring. Please note that college classes are taken for enrichment only. Credit will not be placed on the high school transcript. A special request form must be filled out to take community college courses (available in the counseling office) and a general “college course” course code can be added to your course selections. Please refer to the WHS course list for the course code(s).

Community Work Experience:

Seniors can enroll in Work Experience as their 6th class for fall or a 5th course option for spring.


Q: I would like to have an open 1st, 2nd, 7th, or 8th period during the 2018-2019 school year. Is this possible?

A: Yes, all students are eligible for an open 1st, 1st/2nd, 7th/8th or 8th as long as they have enough credits. Twelfth graders must maintain at least 5 on campus classes for fall and 4 on campus with one off campus class, at minimum, for spring. To ensure this option, seniors are advised to indicate this on their course selection sheet now, using the “additional utility codes” listed at the bottom of the WHS course list. WHS cannot guarantee open periods for seniors for the 2018-2019 academic year if they do not select this option.


Q: I have questions about selecting courses for next year. When is my counselor available?

A: Counselors will be available during lunch 3/8, 3/9, 3/12, and 3/13 of this week and next outside the counseling office to answer scheduling questions for 11th grade students. We ask that you come see them during this time if you have questions prior to the scheduling sessions in English classes, as this time will be very limited.


Q: Where can I find out more information about courses at WHS and the prerequisites?

A: Please visit our school website, woodbridgehigh.org. Click on the academics tab, and the 2018-2019 course of study is the first tab. This is our most comprehensive document here at WHS, outlining all our school policies as well as all information about our courses.


Q: What paperwork do I need to turn in to complete the course selection process?

A: The only form that should be turned in is the Course Selection Worksheet. You MUST bring this sheet when you meet with a counselor on March 15th or 16th or your courses will be chosen for you.


Q: I still have scheduling questions. Who can I contact for more information?

A: You may contact your counselor. If you have specific questions about the course registration process, you may contact Alicia Foulk, Assistant Principal, aliciafoulk@iusd.org.


We look forward to working with you and your student as we schedule for the 2018-2019 school year!